Thursday, February 02, 2006

Picked Pocket

I got up this morning feeling that everything was not going to be quite right. By the end of the day this premonition came true.

I had to make a slight detour on the way to the station and while waiting, I realised that there was a lot of money lying loose in my fanny bag which might just fall out when I took out my wallet to pay the bhajiwallas.

So, unlike my normal self, I carefully put all the money in proper order inside the wallet. My next stop was the bhaji gulli and when I put my hand in the fanny bag to pay the batata walla, I realised that my wallet was missing. So I ran back to the car and found it waiting inside.

Somehow, I felt this was not the last of the "where is my wallet " routine .

In the middle of the afternoon when most people are having their afternoon siesta, I decided to visit my aunt in the hospital. Feeling bored of driving, I thought I'd enjoy the bus ride . I got into the first bus and realised that it wouldn't go far. So I got off at the next stop and got onto another bus. Two busses actually went by and I had half a mind of taking a cab, but seeing the dirty condition of the taxis, persisted in going by bus. That was my first mistake.

Once inside the bus, I found myself being surrounded by a gaggle of dirty women with infants cradling at their hips , making a general nuisance of themselves trying to push their way to the front. They even picked up an argument with the bus conductor for their unruly behaviour which was offensive to all the passengers. In the meanwhile I bought my ticket, put the wallet inside and continued clutching on to my bag.

Luckily the women got off and I even remarked to one of them why they bothered to get on just for one stop.

Little did I realise then that they had targeted me for their con job. After telling me that her legs were paining, the lady in question rounded up her troops and got off. Simulataneously almost, someone recognised me and offered me a seat. So I sat down and put my bag on my lap when I realised that my bag was lighter, the zip pulled open and my wallet gone!

That was the modus operandi of this gang of thieves. They purposely waited till I was the last to get on and then jumped on with a big hullaballoo. In the big squash and squeeze, they managed to pull out just my wallet and make a smart get away.

Of course I made a song and dance but realised that I would have to abandon my trip to the hospital. I got down hoping to catch the women at the earlier stop but realised the futility of it all. I just went ahead to my husband's office which happened to be close by and told him all about it.

I was shaken to say the least because this is the first time such a thing has happened to me. I cannot believe why it should happen at all. Three in the afternoon is not the best time to travel and most times busses are empty. And the dirty band of women who got on the bus are not the regular profile of passengers getting on at this stop. So I should have known that something was amiss.

But as usual, one never thinks of oneself becoming a victim.

Today I realised how it must feel to be robbed in broad daylight, in a crowded bus, in a decent locality.

And I realised the helplessness of it all.

I only hope the wallet comes back. People assure me that it always does. Of course minus all the cash.

But ......I wonder if mine will be returned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home