Friday, February 24, 2006

Do three days make such a difference?

February is only three days shorter than the month before and the month after but the way this month has gone by - it seems shorter than a week!

This was partly due to the fact that there were far too many activities that distracted us from the tedium of our normal routine.

Firstly there was my birthday - Not withstanding the fact that each birthday means one more year, more grey hair and more stubborn pounds ( let's think positive!!), it also means one extra day to indulge and bulge, an extra day to get pampered and spoilt. So unlike most people, I simply love my birthday which is why February is extra special.

I take the chance of discovering a new restaurant on my birthday and most times it becomes the flavour of the year. We had a delightful evening at the Indigo Deli which somehow captures the spirit of Colaba without the tackiness of an Irani joint. We found out that we had made a reservation at its Upper scale cousin a few streets away and the Hostess was actually thinking of turning us away on account of this minor technicality. Luckily we persisted and were shown a table near the door, subliminally underlining the fact that actually she would have preferred that we were two feet on the outside of the door. Thick skinned as we were, we ignored this squashed seating arrangement and were quite ready to eat shoulder to shoulder when my husband actually insisted on another table being added on so that we could breathe easier. The waiters especially the Captain was particularly thick headed and the service was slow. But.............we had a delightful evening right? This was largely due to the fact that the ambience was great as was the food. So inspite of the bad service, I enjoyed myself so Indigo Deli ---------it's time to shape up. With smarter service you will have a great thing going.

Two more restaurants came under my gourmet graze - GOVINDA and SOAM two totally veggie places opposite Babulnath Temple. "Soam " which is located where the totally tacky Fountain Hotel used to be is a direct competitor to SWATI with its newly refurbished new age chic. The food here is Swati-like without the ridiculous prices and I can see it as the flavour of the year for this year's NRI's. Govinda is a strange case of role reversal where the townie followed the suburban legend. While I haven't been to the original, all I can say is that it is a direct competitor to the Dossawalla outside August Kranti Maidan.( Just kidding!!!!!!!) But the dossawalla does serve a Chinese chop suey dossa and a palak paneer dossa ref. my earlier blog} Of course, the dossas tasted better especially with their fancier nomenclature and the peaceful atmosphere unlike the rough and tumble of the road.restaurant was cleaner.

Yes: These three restaurants have my seal of approval and I would recommend them to anyone any time of the day.



Since I am in the mood for reviews, let me also give my own views on RDB ( aka Rang de basanti). I went for this movie with a friend who normally likes to sit quietly and absorb every word and nuance. So I was quite surprised when she suddenly prodded me and said " Gosh, Aamir Khan's eyes look so old!" That was it! Despite the acting, the slickness and the general production, both of us couldn't get over the fact that Aamir was terribly miscast - granted he was not a college student, but how could a guy who had seen life hang out with such morons? We were horrified that kids could speed on two wheelers, drink like maniacs and generally waste their whole college life doing nothing meaningful. And eventually sublimating their lives to those of the freedom fighters they were playing on screen, which led to the bumping off of the Minister did nothing to justify or glorify their existence because what message did the movie carry - If you have a problem just knock it off? There is no parallel between British India and Modern India because BI had foreign rulers and even though Modern India is run by a Bizarre and perhaps even "an alienated from the public Govt." it still does not make them foreign . And above all, how can killing ever be justified? Yes, I know it is just a movie etc etc but we all know how thin the line is between real and reel life. So according to me, RDB does provoke and disturb but I would definitely not call it the defining movie of 2006.



I also had to deal with a picked pocket, hospital visits to convalescent aunt and a dying friend, wedding celebrations and a funeral.

So February draws to a close while we March into another month.........

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true! my month was more colourful....a fabulous wedding to attend, results were declared, lot of celebrations in the air! the months fly past us, soon the years roll into one another....eventually we're left with a collage of memories locked somewhere deep down in the recesses of our minds.

8:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.

6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home